Whether it is expensive bamboo tableware or cheap bamboo cultery, there is a commonality, and it will become moldy after a long time. However, it can be used after scalding with boiling water and washing carefully. You can use tools such as steel wire balls, rice water, ginger, sandpaper and other tools to remove mold on the bamboo cultery. In addition, let’s take a look at the treatment and prevention of mildew on bamboo cultery!
Generally, the mildew on bamboo chopsticks and spoons is Penicillium. Although they are scalded with boiling water, they can be used after careful washing, but it is best not to use them. The bamboo cultery is moldy, indicating that the place where it is placed is humid and the temperature is relatively high. Mold spores are already present, and it will be infected twice when stored again. It is recommended to store in a well-ventilated place. Moreover, the chopsticks should be kept dry after washing.
What to do if bamboo chopsticks or spoon are moldy
1. Scrub with steel wire
If there are mildew spots on the chopsticks, you can use a stainless steel steel wire ball or sandpaper to scrub the mold in the place to wear away the mold.
2. Washing with rice water
Soak the moldy chopsticks in the rice-washing water, and then scrub with salt or alkali, or rub it with ginger or onion several times, then rinse with hot water, pour some vinegar on the cutting board, and put it in the sun. Dry, then rinse with water.
3. Wash with soap, alcohol and water
Wipe with a 2% soap and alcohol solution, then wipe with 3%-5% sodium hypochlorite or hydrogen peroxide, and finally wash.
4. Rub and wash mung bean sprouts
Put the moldy chopsticks and mung bean sprouts together and rub them repeatedly, and then rinse them with water. This method can also remove the mold on the chopsticks.
5. Sandpaper cleaning
Sandpaper has a good cleaning effect. If you see mold on the bamboo chopsticks, you can wipe off the mold with sandpaper, then clean it with water and place it in the sun.
6. Ginger wipe
Wipe the bamboo chopsticks back and forth with fresh ginger, then soak the bamboo chopsticks in boiling water. When the water is warm, pick up the bamboo chopsticks.
How to prevent mildew on bamboo cultery？
1. Try to store bamboo cultery in a dry place, keep good ventilation, and clean wooden tableware regularly.
2. After using bamboo chopsticks, bamboo spoons must be washed and dried, kept clean and tidy. When washing dishes, soak them in hot water and wash them. After washing, wipe them with a cleaning towel and then put them in the sun for a while, which can effectively disinfect and dry.
3. If your bamboo products have become moldy, it is recommended to heat them in a container with water and boil them in vinegar for more than 5 minutes, which can effectively remove the mold spots on the tableware.
4. Put a waterproof cloth on the bamboo basket containing fruits or snacks, which plays a beautiful role and reduces the speed of mold. For bamboo chopsticks and spoons, they must be used as needed, and don't put them all together.
5. Change the bamboo cultery regularly. In many families, it is common to use a pair of chopsticks and a spoon for two to three years. Once the chopsticks are used for a long time, the surface is no longer smooth, and it is easy to make them rough with frequent use and scrubbing, and there are many small grooves and cracks, which are very easy to leave and breed pathogenic microorganisms. Therefore, bamboo cultery is best to be replaced every three months to six months like a toothbrush.